Symud i'r prif gynnwys
Cuddio Rhestr Erthyglau

13 erthygl ar y dudalen hon





-...-----_..---CURIOUS" ENGL…





WRECKS OFF HOLYHEAD.—LOSS OF EIGHT LIVES. On Saturday, a barque was observed at Holrhead, at 9.30 a.m., running in outside the breakwater under bare poles, the canvajs being all blown away from seaward. A tug- boat went out, but" evidently could not get near her on account of the heavy sea. At ten a.m. she stranded on the outside of the break- water at the bend near the lighthouse. The life-saving apparatus, under the charge of Mr Murch. chief office of the coastguards, un- mediately proceeded to her assistance. The barque proved to be the "Kirk Michael," gf Liverpool, bound from that port to Melbourne with a general cargo. The sea at the time was teiiitic. and tne sprays were rising in clouds ■over the breakwater. Her main-topgallant must went overboard on striking. When the life-saving apparatus arrived great difficulty ■w.-sa experienced in effecting communication lwtweell the ship and the breakwater, the sea breaking with terrible force over the ship and the breakwater and blinding those who tried to effect a rescue. Eventually communica- tion was gained at the fore end of the vessel, but to no effect. Again with great skill the loaded line was hove aft, and eleven of the rew were thereby safely brought ashore, the maacer (Captain Jones) being the last man who came ashore. The mate and second mate, who were in the mizen rigging, refused to come ashore, and also the steward, who -was in the cabin. After the captain landed, a vcung man named Will. R. Jones, of N ewry- .street, Holyhead, volunteered to go on board to assist the two men who were in the rig- ging. A coastguard officer named Hunt also volunteered to co on board to assist. Before they could reach the mizen rigging one ot tne men who was there fell on the deck dead, They succeeded in getting the second mate down, but he was in so exhausted a condition Siat he immediately died. The steward stall positively refused to come ashore. Eventually the two men, Jones and Hunt, came ashore in ,L very exhausted condition. Thus eleven lives were saved and seven lost, and the steward -r emained aboard. Too much credit and praise cannot be given Dr E. 'T. Hughes, Mr Murch. and Captain Roberts (sub. Lloyds -,rent), and others for their assistance in the rescuing of the men. Dr Hughes especial y rendered very valuable assistance in receiv- ing the men when brought ashore and attend- ing to their wants, he having taken with him to the spot all that was necessary for the re- covery of the men. Great praise is also due to W. R. Jones and Coastguard Hunt for their valiant and brave conduct in going aboard the •xliip to assist the unfortunate men. The crew were taken to the Sailors' Home, where they were attended to by Dr Hughes, Dr Jones, and Dr Fox Russell. The coastguards and Customs officials and all that were on the breakwater exhibited gr< at willingness in ■doin;; all they possibly could to save the lives of the poor seamen. The stranded vessel is now in charge of Captain Jones, Lloyd's ugent. and the master. The following is a list of the men saved: -Captain Jones, James Alexander (apprentice), of South hhielus, .Jacob Menioa (A.B.), Wilkinson, of Marypo f'-arpenter); Fred Gilbert, .Stockholm; J • A. Long, of Warwick; E. Downing, of Bris- ri:l; E.J. Wahlier, G. A. Erskme, of Belfast; C. L. Coma, Jersey; L. Lampam (A.B.), of Newry. On landing, the captain and crew that on Thursday night the ship had left the Mersey in tow. At two o'clock on^tur- dav morning, the towrope had foiled lth result that as sails were not hoisted she ^was at, the mercy of the waves. She dni" most) in an unmanageable condition, ult- mately going ashore on the Holyhead water, as above described. The miseing members of the crew had droppedin some ■•ctses from the rigging and on to the decK, being instantly killed, and the others were washed away by the heavy seas. The names -(If the missing men are —Mr Dickson (first mate), Mr McCubbin, Glasgow (second mate); Martin Richardson, Lipscombe (ap- prentice); Richard Lee (A.B.), Ready, o Liverpool (sailmaker), and two other app1^1*" ticea. Onr No. 1 lifeboat crew (Mr William Owen, coxswain) attempted to render assis- tance at considerable peril to their 1 The heroic conduct of the captain or the Hinall tug "British King" is worthy of all Praise, Captain Bibby displayed noble daring and made repeated efforts to render assistance and would onlv abandon the attempt when he had nearly sacrificed the lives of his own ,Tew and lost the tugboat of which he had charge. Eve-witnesses speak in glowing oerms of Captain Bibby's gallantry. The steward of the "Ivirk Michael" was on Sunday morning safely landed. Five of the bodies have been recovered. On Monday, Dr Roland P. Williams and a jury. of which Mr John Ellis, Troas, was foreman, held an inquest on the bodies of live of the crew, namely, Dixon ("^st "i.. McCubbin (second mate), Lee (A.B.), Kic ardson and Lipscombe (apprentices wlio "were identified by the captain Wilkinson (carpenter), Joseph Lamkm and George A. Erskin.e. William R. Jones, 3, Ive^street, the young man who had volunteered to go on board the ship, also gave evidence at the ie- quest of the jury, which corresponded with rise captain's, aid was of a very thrilling r- r, (I vouching nature. The foreman of the jiir *i:ske(I the press to state that the young "man William R.Jones had not circulated the story that the steward was under the in- fluence of drink. A verdict of "Accidental <le<ith" was returned. On the motion of Mr David Rowlands, 33, Newiy-street, and Mr Jones Hughes, tailor and draper, the jury warmly commended the daring bravery 0 £ William R. Jones in risking his life in con- nection with this disastrous shipwreck. The barque "Titania," of Norway, laden with coals, was also seen at eleven a.m. drag- -ing. The lifeboat "Joseph Whit worth," in charge of Coxswain Edward Jones, which had y been called to the assistance of the "Kirk Michael," but owing to the ter- rible sea and the continual flooding of the boat, find failed to get round the breakwater, and had returned to the old harbour, then took on board the crew of the other boat, and proceeded to the assistance of the "Titan- ia," which by this time was stranded on Pen- rhPH Point. The lifeboat succeeded in saving all the crew and landed them on Penrhos beach, where ti e lifeboat now remains in- shore of the wreck, and cannot possibly be taken away until the weather moderates. The "Titania" is a total wreck. The barquentine "Valhalla," of Norway, laden with coals, from Glasgow for Vera Oruz, anchored in the outer roads, was ob- rierve I dragging at ten a.m. Immediately -Y the lifeboat "Thomas Fielden," in charge of Coxswain William Owen, was launched, and wenr to render assistance. The vessel .stranded on Penrhos Point. The sea run- ning terribly high, the coxswain was com- pelle 1 to run the boat ashore, after landing the vessel's crew. At three p.m., the cox- swain took 15 fresh hands and successfully launched the boat, but owing to the terrific gale and high sea the boat filled several times, and it. appeared to the coxswain at first that he li"(I lost some of the men. Fortunately, all had held fast, but they lost seven oars. Eventually, with great skill and good pilot- age. the boat was safely got round Penrhos Point and beached on a fine, muddy bottom, the boat having sustained no injury. The coxswain intended floating her on Sunday. The "Valhalla" will become a total wreck. The crews of the Norwegian barquentine .p,d barque gre cared fpr by the Norwegian and Swedish' Consulate, Captain Parry. The Shipwrecked Mariners' Society, of which Captain Parry is the agent, is an excellent institution, sending the seamen, in cases of destitution, to their homes, and providing them with an outfit. Commander Clapp, R.N. (Queen's Harbour-master), and Captain Jones (Lloyd's agent) evinces a kindly in- terest in the crews at the Sailors' Home. SCHOONER ASHORE IN MOELFRA BAY. On Saturday evening, the three-masted schooner "John Wignell," of Fleetwood, from Charleston to Fleetwood, with china clay, whilst anchored in Moelfra Bay, dragged her anchors. Being in imminent danger of driv- ing ashore, signals, which were unanswered, were made for a tugboat. The Moelfra life- boat rescued the crew. The schooner even- tually went ashore under the tableland, and is a total wreck. It is feared another schooner haa gone down with all hands near Moelfra. A CARNARVON SCHOONER IN DISTRESS. Telegraphic communication between Ramsey, the Isle of Mau, and- the mainland was greatly interfered with owing to the storoi. On Friday morning the Raiu- sey lifeboat crew saved the crews of two vessels which were in danger several miles off land. The sea was so heavy that the lifeboat rode five hours in the gale and finally had to land the crews at Laxey. One vessel was the Margaret Jones," of Car- narvon, and the other the schooner 11 Excel- sior," of Chester. The latter was dismasted, but was got into harbour. The Margaret Jones drifted away, and disappeared. WRECK OF A WELSH STEAMER IN THE ISLE OF MAN. At about half-past .evM on Saturday morning, it being high water at the time, the three-masted iron screw steamer "Syl- faen," of Liverpool, 169 tons register, Wil- liam Hamilton, master, owned by Messrs Kneeshaw and Lupton, bound from Kings- town to Troon, in ballast, went ashore at Jurby Point. She grounded on a sandy beach, and as the tide receded the crew was rescued by the people of the neighbourhood. The steamer is likely to become a total wreck. THE IRISH MAIL STOPPED. The Irish mail from Holyhead to London had an unprecedented experience on Saturday morning. The train had attained a very high rate of speed, but on coming across the Isle of Anglesey, the engine met the full force of the hurricane. The driver tried more steam pressure, but the engine could make no head- way, and it is said was completely stopped. After a lapse of 20 minutes it was able to proceed slowly. CARNARVON. The tremendous gale which blew all Fri. day night and throughout Saturday was very severely felt in Carnarvon and district. The steamer "Maynower," plying between Anglesey and Carnarvon, was unable to make its earlier passages with the result that a large number of dealers and others bound for the Christmas market were put to considerable inconvenience. A chimney stack attached to the Welsh Tobacco Works fell with a crash, and similar mishaps occurred in other parts of the town, while a number of trees were uprooted at Glynllifou Park and fell across the main road between Carnarvon and Clynnog. DENBIGH. At Denbigh, suoh a storm has never been known, and in the exposed parts of the hilly portion of the town, people were afraid to sleep at night, the dwellings being literally rocked by the wind. Great damage was done to roofs, and chimneys were demolished in all directions. The roof of the new church at Denbigh, just completed, was damaged. FLINT. At Flint and the estuary of the Dee the lforce of the wind was enormous, and a good deal of damage to property has been done. In the west side of the town the houses suff- ered the most, many having their water spout- ing torn off and otherwise looking in a de- molished state. One large house, the resi- dences of Dr J. Humphrey Williams and the Rev Josiah Jones, suffered terribly, the large chimney being blown down. The Connah's Quay ship captains and crews had great diffi- culty in mooring their vessels strong enough to hold them through the storm. HOLYWELL. Daybreak on Saturday morning revealed the streets of Holywell strewed with slates blown from the roofs of the houses by the ter- rific hurricane, and more than one hair- breadth escape is reported. An old lady named Mrs Warburton, of Bagillt, whilst walking along the streets was lifted by the wind off her feet and dashed with great force on the gtfound, sustaining severe injuries. The most striking incident that occurred was that at Bryntirion Villa, Brynford-street, Holywell. About half-past nine on Saturday morning, a squall struck the north-west gable, breaking off short a chimney-stack some nine or ten feet high, which fell through the roof, and tumbled in a solid mass into two bed- xoori43. Fortunately the occupants, Mrs Josephus Williams and the members of her family, had left the room a little time before the accident happened. LLANDUDNO. At seven o'clock on Saturday morning, the Llandudno lifeboat was signalled to a fishing smack in the bay, the "Scotia," Hoylake. The crew had great difficulty in launching the boat, but got out quickly and' rescued four hands. The master of a smack said it was the roughest night he ever remembers at sea. MOSTYN. The gale was attended with considerable damage and loss to the shipping off Mostyn. Owing to the stress of weather, about seventy crafo of all sizes have been for the past few days anchored in the wild roads. The gale, which blew from the north-west, was felt by them with great force, even in that safe anchorage, and by eight o'clock on Saturday morning, four schooners and a number of flats had dragged their anchors, and drifted up the river, stranding on the sandbanks on the Flintshire side, between Mostyn and the Greenfield and Bagillt Quays. The seas ran mountains high, the open sea beyond the Dee being one seething mass of foam. RHYL. One of the fiercest storms ever known blew at Rhyl on Saturday morning. The tide was in, and the waves were blown mountains high on the shore, while the sand was blowing in drifts on the promenade, and traffic was impossible. A party of gentlemen, in- cluding Mr Alun Lloyd, solicitor, and Mr Partington, junior, were watching the pro- gress of a vessel out at sea, when a sudden gust tore loose one of the corrugated iron fences which are placed rcund the grass plots to keep the sand off and blew it in the direc- tion of the group. The terrible clatter startled the party, who had just time to scramble out of the way when the huge ob- stacle swept past them. Fortunately no vehicles were about, or a serious accident would have occurred. The streets were strewn with chimney-pots and slates, and numerous tradesmen's signs were blown down. A large one was blown off the top of Wel- lington Chambers, falling with a crash on the ornamental verandah underneath, and smash- ing the glass. On the Rhyl coast the gale was most disastrous. The dredger belonging to Mr Jones and used at the Faryel Harbour, was beached by the Winter Gardens, and by its side the flat "Catherine" was driven ashore and damaged. The other vessels in the har- bour were also affected by the storm. Great fears were entertained for the safety of the enbankment which is being erected for the new marine lake, but its stability was thor- oughly proved by the fact that all is safe. About five o'clock in the evening signals sum- moning the lifeboat crew were fired from the pier, a vessel being in distress on the West Isle by Prestatyn. The lifeboat from Rhyl harbour was brought on its carriage through the town to the east of the pier. The surf was found so heavy that, coupled with the weight of the boat and the soft sand, it was impossible to get the boat off. The men did all they could to launch the boat, but failed. VALE OF CLWTD. The hurricane raged1 during the whole of Friday night in the Vale of Clwyd, visiting Denbigh and Ruthin with great severity. Rain fell in torrents, quckly swelling the 9irm dwyd and JSItvj to mighty cut-route L -1 inundating the vale for many miles. The wind blew with terrific force, dismantling houses and hurling about slates and bricks, to the great danger of the public. William Jones was struck by a falling brick, and lies in a precarious condition, his head being greatly injured.



[No title]