Symud i'r prif gynnwys
Cuddio Rhestr Erthyglau

18 erthygl ar y dudalen hon

Mayor's Day at Conway.

Children's Concert at Conway.

Death of Mr. John Hughes,…

[No title]

The Late Rev. Father Comerford.

A Colwyn Bay Dispute.

[No title]

I Markets and Fairs. I-

Private Parties to the Holy…


IMadame Riviere's Matinee…

--.t8IIC. Llanrwst Education…



Sad Tragedy at Llanfairfechan.1


Sad Tragedy at Llanfairfechan. A DOG TO THE RESCUE. WELL-KNOWN RESIDErs DEATH. On Monday afternoon there was quite a consternation in the village of Llanfair- fechan when it became known that the body of a well-known resident had been ,found in the Sea near Penmaen Bridge. The unfortunate man was Mr. William Hughes, carriage proprietor, St. Seiriol's, Llanfairfechan. The sad story of how he got into the sea was unfolded to the North Carnarvonshire Coroner (Mr. j. Pentir Williams) and a jury on Tuesday evening in the Caersalem Schoolroom, where an inquest was held. Mr. W. Timmins was foreman of the jury. The first witness called was John Rees Hughes, poor rate collector, son of the de- ceased, who lived with his father at St. Seiriol's, and whom he stated was 64 years of age. He identified the body viewed by the jury, and added that he last saw his father alive at 9 a.m. on Monday, when he was in bed. For some time past the de- ceased had been in a weak state of health, and had been suffering from sciatica. Wit- ness used to take him about in a bath-chair. Possibly he was a little depressed owing to his illness. There was no reason at all why he should do away with himself. During the last few days he had improved in health, and had gone out for daily walks. Witness arrived back in the house at mid- day, and was told that his father had just gone out. Witness went to look for him, as he had arranged to take him out in the bath-chair. He went along the parade, but saw no sign of him. He then called at some houses which deceased visited, but nothing had been seen of him. He made further inquiries, and learnt that he had gone in the direction of Penmaen Bridge. He was told that the dog had been seen coming from the direction of the bridge. He went there and saw the dog quite wet. Witness called out to the dog, Where is he, Nell? and the animal immediately plunged into the sea. Witness made up his mind that deceased bad fallen in, and he called for assistance. Replying to a juryman, the witness said the deceased often went that way for a walk. It was his custom to do so for the last 10 years. When the Coroner asked whether a man could easily fall, all the jurymen replied in t,lie affirmative, adding Itihat the pitching was very slippery. If the deceased slipped he would roll down the embankment. The next witness was a little lad named David John Jones, 5, Mona-terrace, Ger- izirn, eight years of age, who was accom- modated with a seat on the Coroner's knee. He gave a graphic account of how the de- ceased got into the sea, and earned con- siderable praise from both the Coroner and the jury for the excellent way he had given his evidence, especially when he was of such tender years. He said he was play- ing near the Penmaen Bridge, and he saw a man slip and fall into the water. The man had a big black dog with him, and the animal went into the water after him ,and tried to get him out by pulling at his coat. He (the witness) was frightened, and ran and told a little girl, and they after- wards went to plav. He heard the man shout Hei, hei," and the dog was barking very much. In reply to a juryman, the little boy in- telligently replied that the man was trying to get out of the water, but the waves roll- ed him back. Henry Jorss, Nelson Villa, fisherman, said he was informed that people were of opinion that William Hughes was in the sea, and he pooh-poohed the idea, but a few minutes later Mr. T. J. Owen told him it was quite true, and asked witness to take a boat out. He did so in company with his man, and rowed in the direction of Penmaeiimawr. After rowing about 200 yards from the east jetty he saw a black object floating, and on reaching it found it to be the body of the deceased, who was gripping a walking stick in his rieht hand. The body had -the .appearance as if he was trying to crawl. He picked up the body and took it ashore, and found that he was beyond all aid. Judging from the position where the body was found, and the state of the tide, he should say that deceased had been in the water an hour and a half. John Williams, who was also in the boat, corroborated. The Coroner, summing up, said this was a very sad incident, and he was sure they all felt sorry for the family. The last time he (the Coroner) saw the deceased was when he attended an inquest at Llanfairfechan, ,and saw Mr. Hughes being wheeled about by his son in a bath-chair. From the re- port he had received, it was difficult to say whether it was an accident or whether the 'deceased had deliberately .thrown himself into the water, but from the evidence ten- dered that day it seemed pretty clear that it was an accident. The little boy had given his evidence very clearly and truth- fully, and could not possibly have invented such a story. The jury unanimously returned a verdict of "Accidental death," and on the motion of the foreman a sincere vote of sympathy was passed with the widow and family in their bereavement.

--.----Death of Mr. A. W.…

The Colwyn Bay and District…

Talycafn Mart Sale.