Symud i'r prif gynnwys
Cuddio Rhestr Erthyglau

9 erthygl ar y dudalen hon








THE WRECK OF THE LEADER. Sad Sufferings of the Crew. The steamer Moravian, just arrived at Liverpool from Quebec, brings full details of the loss of the schooner Leader and the fearful sufferings of the crew. The Leader left Montreal on the 22nd November, 1864, under command of Captain Vigeau, and manned by a crew of seven men, with a cargo of flour and pork, for St. John's. On the 27th, when off Quebec, a river steamer ran into the Leader, carrying away her bowsprit and cutwater. After repairing at Quebec they sailed on the following Saturday, and had got as far as Quarantine Island, thirty miles below Quebec. The Leader experienced unsettled weather until Friday, December 9, when the weather became very thick and boisterous, and gradually and steadily increased to a gale. That night," says Mr. Marcier, the second officer and only survivor, it was my watch on deck, all the crew and the captain being asleep at the time. I saw a ground sea rising close to the vessel, and before I had time to sing out it came aboard. I was knocked senseless under the wheel, and it was full twenty minutes before I could recover myself. When I came to I looked round and saw that the cabin was gone, the maintopsa-il carried away, and not a sail to be seen. Presently, however, I saw the steward and one of the sailors in the water to leeward, but before I could render any assistance they were down. I next saw another of the crew, Mercer, crawling out from under the wreck of the cabin with his hand smashed; then a man, named Millett, called out. I went to him, pulled away, and found that his back and thighs were broken. I next found the cap- tain, with his head on the deck and his feet on the rails. He was much hurt inside. I lifted him up, and carried him into the storeroom. I never saw the mate or a sailor named Pike afterwards. They must have gone overboard with the cabin. There were now four of us —the captain, Mercer, Willett, and myself. Every- thing had been washed away but what we had on. About two o'clock the next morning (December 10) I saw we were going ashore against a very high cliff. I Bang out it was time for every man to save himself. The night was very dark, and the sea was running fearfully high. Mercer ran up the fore rigging. A sea then struck us, and went two fathoms over the vessel, knocking away ten feet of the stern, nearly to the mainmast. The captain was washed to the lee side, and I took a rope, crept to him, and lashed him fast. He could not walk. His head had swollen tremendously, and he was sick and weak from swal- lowing salt water. For half-an-hour the sea broke over us, and then the vessel worked over the reef and into water where it was a little quiet, where she even- tually grounded. We remained on board the vessel until daylight next morning (Sunday), December 14. The mainmast was then cut away, thinking it would form a bridge to the shore, but it fell fore and aft and alongside. Mercer then fastened a rope round his waist, and, after several attempts, reached the beach, but unfortunately let go the rope. I then got a rope, and after hard work, worked my way through the surf and landed. The place where we landed was Wall Cove, between Coal River and the Bay of Islands. This was about nine o'clock in the morning." The narrative then proceeds to tell how, after walking about in search of a human habitation, they were obliged to take shelter in a tilt." They had no boots, and Mercer's feet were fearfully lacerated and frost- bitten. They were on shore two days when Mr. Marcier managed to get on board the wreck. He found theicap- tain frozen to death, and Thomas Willett, who was alive, but unable to move. The latter had had nothing to eat for two days, and after giving him some raw pork and flour, Mr. Marcier got ashore with some pork and flour. They remained there four weeks, Mr. Marcier going on board every two days to feed Willett. They tried every means to get a lire, but could not succeed. The weather was fearfully y cold, and Mercer's legs were frozen from the knee downwards, and they had scarcely any covering Another four weeks of hope and despair, and then "a tremendous fall of rain came down, which drenched them thoroughly, after which the wind came on from the N.W., with severe frost, so that they were lite- rally frozen to the ground. They then agreed to return to the wreck, but Mercer eould not walk, and as he crawled along the flesh dropped in pieces from his legs. However, tney got on board, where there was no sheltered place to lie in. There was no fire, no clothes, nothing to eat but raw pork and flour, and only. now and then a little water. On the 28th of January, Willett, after living eight weeks with his back and thighs broken, and being badly frost-bitten, TTa w4eaAh on the d9ck- Marcier then told Mercer that Willett was dead, and received the reply, Ah, well; it's my turn next." About three o clock the same afternoon, Mercer asked for a drink. 1 mixed, says_Mr. Marcier, "a little flour with some water, and he tried to drink it; but he was too weak to swallow it. So I got him on my lap, with his poor head resting on my arm, and tried to feed him with a spoon. While the spoon was in his mouth I heard the rattle in his throat, and he died almost imme- diately. I laid him down beside me;" and there they remained, the dead and the living, from the 28th of January to the 21at of March, when Marcier was rescued by the whaler Lilly Dale, and taken to Channell, where he arrived on May 5. Mr. Marcier lost the toes of hjs right foot by frost, and when the crew of the Lilly Dale came across the ice to, the wreck they were fearfully alarmed on finding a live man on board.. They lashed him to a plank, and carried him five miles across the ice to the vessel, where he was heritably received.