Symud i'r prif gynnwys
Cuddio Rhestr Erthyglau

21 erthygl ar y dudalen hon

LAMPETER

Newyddion
Dyfynnu
Rhannu

LAMPETER PHEHENTATION.—On Monday evening last the parishioners of Pencarreg assembled together at St. James' Mission Church, to present the Rev. J. D. Lewie and Mrs. Lewis with a suitable testimonial on their departure for Llanarth. The testimonial took the form of an illuminated address, a solid oak roll-top desk, a pocket communion service, and a silver breafast servioe, subscribed for by the parishioners and friends in the neighbourhood, also a gold cross, the gift of the members of the St. James' Sunday School to Mrs. Lewis for her faith- ?ul service with them as a teacher for 18 years. The desk and communion service were presented to Mr. Lewis by the churchwardens, Mr John Ed- wards and Mr. Evan Thomas, while Mr. David Rees presented the address. The gold cross was handed over to Mrs. Lewis by the three little girls, A. E. Jones, Hannah J. Davies and Bessie Rees, members of her Sunday School class. The break- fast service was presented to Mrs Lewis by Miss Williams, Maescanol. Mr and Mrs Lewis suitably responded. Mr. Lewis, in acknowledging the gifts begged to thank the committee, the collectors, and the subscribers for such appreciative tokens of his 18 years' service among them. Before the presenta- tion took place a few solos and recitations were given as followsSolo, "Dacwrr Bwfnyn," Hannah Jane Davies; recitation, Ellen Ann Thomas; solo, "Merch y Melinydd," Bessie Rees; recitation, Y Niagra," Mr J. Washington Jones: solo, "Gweno fwyn," Katie Rees: solo, "Chwyfior Cadach Gwyn," Mrs Evans, Cwmane; solo, Mr John Davies, Islwyn; solo, "Dolly,' Ellen Ann Thomas. A WELL-DESERVED PROMOTION.-WE heartily con- gratulate the Rev. R. T. Jones, B.A., vicar of Glanogwen, Bethesda, upon his appointment, by the Bishop of Bangor, to the residentiary canonry in Bangor Cathedral, which became vacant owing to the death of Canon Hughes. The new canon is a native of Lampeter, and is a graduate of St. David's College. He was ordained in 1885 his first curacy being Pwllheli. In 1888 he was offered Bie vicariate of Nevin by Colonel Wynne Finch, which he opened. He had been there long before he re-epened the Mission Church, secured the ser- vices of an additional curate, and collected £2,000 towards a new church for which a valuable site was given by the •-Ion. I' G Wyrifi In fe was appointed a surrogate for the diocese of Ban- gor. After doing good work at Nev'n, the rev gentleman was in 1898 offered the benefice of Glanogwen by the late Lord Penrhyn. Very soon he set to work, and laboured energetically with the restoration of the church and schools in connection with the celebration of the church's jubilee at a cost of £1,189. In 1905 he was appointed secretary of the Diocesan Church Defence Society in suc- cession to the late Canon Hughes, and all who know him will testify to the splendid efforts he made on behalf of the Church, and his trenchant speeches all over the country. He was appointed rural dean of Arllechwedd in 1910, and was one of the four witnesses who represented the diocese of Bangor before the Church Commission. He is a member of the Bangor and Beaumaris Board of Guardians, having been twice returned unopposed. The ser- vices at Glanogwen are renowned for their hearti- ness, and the choir is considered one of the best in Wales. May Canon Jones be blessed with a long life to carry on the good work which is so near and dear to his heart. SOAR CHAPEL.—A meeting of the Christian En- deavour Society was held on Friday evening, when a paper was read by Mr John Rees, Peterwell-terrace, on "Church Membership." The Rev. Evan Evans, pastor, presided, and the following also spoke, viz. Aid T. Richards, Mrs Jones, Rhoslwyn, Mr. E. D. Rees, and Mrs. Morris, Station-terrace. MARRIAGE.—At Noddfa Chapel on Wednesday morning last, by licence, by the Rev. Daniel Jones, minister, in the presence of Mr. E. D. Rees, regis- trar, Mr. William John Davies, of Llanfairfach, Llanf&irclvdogau, farmer, was married to Miss Sarah Davies, of Teifi View, Llanfairelydogau. The bride was given away by Mr. Timothy Jones, of Pantmeurig, Pencarreg, and was attended by Miss Polly Evans, of Llanfairfach. as bridesmaid; while Mr. Daniel Davies-Evans, of Llanfairfach, acted as bosfc man.

LLANDYSSUL

LLANWENOG

LLANSTEPHAN

TUMBLE

NEWCASTLE EMLYN

LLANDlLO"

AMMANFORD

TALLEY

oWMUWiLi

ILLANGATHSN

SARON|

LLANSADWRN1

LLANGADOCK

LLANDOVERY

GOLDEN GROVE

LLANDYSSUL COUNTY SCHOOL

Advertising

Family Notices

[No title]

LLANDYSSUL COUNTY SCHOOL