> Estimates given for Erecting Galvanised Hay Sheds com- l Y plete. Steel Pillars, Patent Hay 'Willfe |j§ OS? Carriers, and Steel Tracks for > ■ |fc goi" Meys' Separators and all Dairy Utensils su pplied. Pumps, Hydraulic Rams. Dust-proof lids, patent necks, A RAILWAY MILK CHURNS. gauged and plated, and all the latest improvements. iN !Si!t!tt REPAIRS EXECUTED ON THE ft jB! PREMISES. PLEASE NOTE ADDRESS-. HARRIES,TOWY WORKS,LTD. PICTUREDROME, CARMARTHEN 8ATURDAYS 2 30 6.30 & 8.30 P.M. THURSDAYS-6-30 & 8.30 P.M. OTHER DAYS-8.15 P.M. MONDAY, JUNE 23rd, The Beggar Prince, a Fascinating and Thrilling In Story (in two parts) and the Leopard Avenger, an exciting story of a Leopard Hunt (in two parts). r THURSDAY, JUN.E 26th-The Convict's Secret, a remarkable story of 0 circumstantial Evidence, and a Four-Footed Hero, a powerful and thrilling story. Also the following interesting pictures:-The Press Gang; Twedledum as Boxer; Calamity Anne's Vanity; Cross your Heart; Life in Tripoli; Lieut. Lilly and the Opium; A Lady's Tram; While she Powdered; The Maid of Honour; Sofia. ADMISSION—3d. 6d., 9d. Children-W., 3d., 4d. Saturday Afternoons for Children-Id., Id., lei UNITED COUNTIES AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY. (President: SIR OWEN PHILIPPS, K.C.M.G.) THE GREAT ANNUAL SHOW (Open to the Counties of Carmarthen, Pembroke, and Cardigan) WILL BE HELD AT 7 STRADEY PARK, LLMELLY, On Monday (Bank Holiday), August 4th, 1913. RIDING, DRIVING, AND JUMPING CLASSES, AND SHEEP DOG TRIALS. ENTRIES CLOSE JULY 21st. Schedules of the Secretary, D. H. THOMAS, Land Agent, Carmarthen or of Mr. RHYS W. HARRY, 40, New Road, Llanelly. public notices On Wednesday and Thursday next ST. DAVID S PARISH, CARMARTHEN. A GRAND BAZAAR and FETE (under dis- tinguished patronage and in oonnection with the above parish) will be held at CARMAR- with the above parish) will be held at CARMAR- THEN PARK on WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY, June 25th and 26t'n, 1913. The Bazaar will be opened by Lady PHIMPPS, of Coomb, and Mrs. H. C. BOND. Numerous Stalls and Side Shows. Roundabouts (kindly lent by Henry Studt, Esq.) Gates open at One, Bazaar to be opened at Two o'clock. Admission each Day—1 to 6 p.m., 1/ 6 p.m. to close, 6d. Hon. Sec.—D. HOWELL THOMAS, Starling I Park. <1696 HENLLAN. SEVENTH ANNUAL AGRICULTURAL gHOW Of the Rhvdlewis and District Society will be held at HENLLAN, On WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 13th, 1913. In addition to the usual Classes SHEEP J)OG T RIALS will be held same day. Schedules, etc., from the Hon. Sec., DR. T. J. JENKINS, Henllan, Cards. (1719 NEW QUAY AND DISTRICT HORSE AND CATTLE SHOW THE above SHOW will be held this year on THURSDAY, AUGUST 7th. For further particulars apply to E. EVANS, Waunyrefel, D. DAVIES, Belle Vue. Cross Inn, S.O., Card., Secretaries. 1688 PANTGLAS. NEVVCHURCH. TENDERS are invited for the erection of a i New Dwelling House at this Farm, and also for the erection of a New Range of Outbuildings to a neighbouring one. Plans and Specifications may be seen on the spot. Lowest or any tender not necessarily accepted. Apply, Stephens, Trawsmawr, Carmarthen. rv (1715 THE WELSH INSURANCE CORPORATION, lTD. CHIEF OFFICE 28, High Street, Cardiff Issue:—Live Stock (Foaling) Policies at excellent rates to Farmers. Also Fire, Burglary, Personal Accident, Motor Car, Sickness, Plate Glass, Boiler Explosion, Gas Engines, and other Engineering psks, (Fidelity Guarantees, Third Party, Employers Liability. &c., &0. THE ONLY GENERAL INSURANCE COMPANY OF WELSH ORIGIN, and with a Welsh Board of Directors. It has been inaugurated for the express pur- pose of giving attention to tfne rapidly growing interests of Wales. BRANCH OFFICE:—17, WIND STREET, SWANSEA. Apply for Copy of Prospectus. public TRotices. I JAMES JONES, Cycle Depot, LLANDYSSUL, the first and oldest established Cycle Depot in the district (18 years). Sole District Agent for the noted B.S.A. Cycles "Stars," Royal Enfield, Premier, Robin-hood, James' and other 1st class Cycle Firms. Ladies' and Gent's Cycles on hire. Accessories of every description always in stock. Official Repairer by licence to the Cycling Touring Club. (1709 I HEREBY GIVE NOTICE that any Person or Persona found Trespassing in pursuit of game on Cwmcathan Farm, Pencader, will be pro- secuted, as the game is preserved. (Signed) THOMAS DAVIES. Cwmcathan, June 9th, 1913. (1603p Sales bg Buctioii. CAPEL EVAN, NEAR NEWCASTLE-EMLYN. MESSRS. J. D. JONES, SON & GEORGE will SELL by PUBLIC AUCTION at the Emlyn Arms Hotel, Newcastle-Emlyn, on FRI- DAY, 27th June, 1913, at 2 p.m. (subject to Condi- tions), the CAPEL EVAN and PENRHEOL, FARMS, situate at or near Capel Evan, in the following or such other lots as may be determined upon at the time of sale:— Lot. A. R. P. 1.—Accommodation field called Llaincapel 2 0 13 2.—Two do., called Parknewydd & Park- cynt 5 1 32 3.—Two do., called Parkypant & Llain 3 1 21 4.—Two do., called Parkcapel & Park- canolbach, together with Lonfach Cottage and Garden 2 2 37 5.—Two accommodation fields, called Parkyrefel and Parkyrardd, together with Capel Evan Farm house, out- buildings, haggards, garden and orchard 4 1 33 6. Accommodation field called Parklan. 2 1 17 7.—Accommodation field called Parky- buarth 2 0 33 8.—Cottage & garden, called Dderwendeg 0 0 11 9.—Cottage & garden, called Tyucha, otherwise Tyhwnt 0 0 19 10.-Cottage & garden, called Rehoboth Cottage 0 0 17 11.—Three accommodation fields, called Parkclyn-uchaf, Parleclyn and Park- penrallt, together with adjoining Woodlands 10 0 1 12.-Six accommodation fields adjoining Lot 11 10 3 2 For further particulars see sale posters and plan, or apply to the Auctioneers at Llwynbedw, Bon- cat'n, R.S.O., or to Messrs. Evans and Thomas, Llandyssul, the Vendor's Solicitors. (1685 PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT. CARDIGANSHIRE. Close to Rhvdlewis Village, in the Parish of Penbryn, An: those excellent! Farms, Lands, and Pre- mises, called BRENHINLLE and PEN RALLT, will be offered at a PUBLIC SALE early in July next, unless previously disposed of by private treaty. Particulars will duly appear. In the meantime applications should be made to W. Timothy, Esq., J.P., New Quay, Card, or to Thomas Jones and Sons, Auctioneers, Garthowen, Llandyssul. (1707 LLANYBYTHER. TO BE SOLD by PUBLIC AUCTION by Messrs. THOMAS JONES & SONS, at Waunfawr Villa, on the 7th July, 1913 (Monthly Market-day), the desirable Freehold Residence, called WAUNFAWR VILLA, Llanybyther; and the small Freehold Farm, called LLAINLAS, Llan- llwni. Further Particulars of the Auctioneers at New Court, Llanybyther, and Garthowen, Llandyssul, or of the Vendor's Solicitors, Messrs. EVANS & THOMAS. Llandyssul. (1603p Sales b\> Huction CARMARTHENSHIRE, PARISH OF LLANFIHANGEL-AR-ARTH. BEN. EVANS & EVANS are instructed to offer for SALE by AUCTION at the Farmers' Arms, Pencader, on FRIDAY, June 27th, 1913, at 3 p.m., all that valuable Copyhold Farm, called GWARGRAIG, within 1 miles of Pencader Station, containing 33 acres 1 rood 26 poles, or thereabouts with the substantial Buildings thereon, in the occupation of Mr. James Jones, at the yearly rent of J633, including tithes. Further particulars of the Auctioneers, Pencader and Carmarthen, or of MR. W. J. WALLIS-JONES, 1700) Solicitor, Carmarthen. CARMARTHENSHIRE. PARISHES OF BRECHFA, PENCARREG, and LL ANFIH ANGEL-AR-ARTH. Important Sales of valuable Copyhold and Freehold Farms and Small Holdings. MESSRS. BEN. EVANS & EVANS are in- structed to offer by PUBLIC AUCTION at the Farmers' Arms Hotel, Pencader, on FRIDAY, 27th June, 1913 (subject to conditions), at 3 p.m. Lot I.-All that Copyhold Farm, called BRYN- YREIDON, in the parish of Brechfa, and land called GLANRHYDYMORWYNION, in the parish of Llanfihangel-ar-arth, containi-ng 123 acres 3 roods 39 poles of improvable meadow, arable, pasture and woodland. The buildings are commodious. Annual rental £45. Tenant, Mr. Rees George. Lot 2.—An allotment on Llanfihangel-ar-artli Common in respect of BRYNYREIDON. Lot 3.-CL YNGLAS FREEHOLD FARM, within 4 miles of Pencader, containing 252 acres of meadow, arable, and pasture land, with the new Dwelling-house in the occupation of Mr. John Thomas at the annual rent of J652 10s. This Lot has an abundant supply of water for farm and domestic. use. Lot 4.-PENYBRYN Small Holding, within £ a mile of Pencader Railway Junction. New Dwel- ling-house and Outbuildings, about 13 acres 2 roods 16 poles. Annual rental £ 14. Tenant, Mr. Daniel Dalvies. Lot 5.-CLYNGWYDDIL LAND, 92 acres, or thereabouts, of useful pasture land. SALE at the Royal Oak Hotel, LAMPETER, on FRIDAY, July 4th, 1913, at 2 p.m. Lot 6.—TAICWM Freehold Small Holding, in the parish of Pencarreg, containing 16! acres, or thereabouts, of meadow and pasture land, with the building thereon. Annuad rental 210. Tenant, Miss Sarah Evans. Lot 7.-DANYRALLT COTTAGE and Outbuild- ings situate on the main road near the Village of Pencarreg, in ;good repair, stone built and Car- narvon-slated, subject to Lease, 14 years unexpired. Annual ground rent 10s. Lot 8.-TYHOWELL Freehold Farm, about 3 miles from Lampeter, adjacent to tihe main road. Newly erected stone and slated Dwelling-house and commodious outbuildings. Also the old dwelling- house; 1131 Acres or thereabouts of very useful meadow, arable and pasture land. Annual rent £40. Tenants, Messrs. W. and J. Evans. For further particulars and conditions of sale, apply to the Auctioneers at Pencader and Carmar- then, or Mr. D. Roy Evans, Newcastle-Emlyn. (1701 SALE TO-MORROW. THE SALE of the Freehold Farm, known as PENPARKE, Llangunnock, will take place at the St. Mary's Auction Mart, Carmarthen, TO-MORROW (Saturday) at 2.30 o'clock. J. HOWELL THOMAS & SON, 1682) Auctioneers, Carmarthen. CARMARTHENSHIRE. Preliminary Announcement of a Sale of the Valu- able Estate, known as the GELLYWERNEN & GORING THOMAS' ESTATES" situate in the Parish of Llannon and Llanelly. "VTESSRS. J. HOWELL THOMAS & SON have received instructions to prepare for a SALE by AUCTION, to take place in the month of September next, the above Valuable Estate, comprising the whole of the Freehold Farms, Ground Rents, House Property, etc., situate in the above Parishes. For further particulars apply to Messrs. Tre-' herne, Higgins and Co., Solicitors, 7, Bloomsbury Square, London, W.C.; William Griffiths, Esq., Estate Offices, Llanelly; or to the Auctioneers at their Offices, Saint Mary Street, Carmarthen. (1723 CARMARTHENSHIRE. PARISH OF LLANGUNNOCK. Important Sale of a Valuable Freehold Grazing Farm. MEbSRS. J. HOWELL THOMAS & SON have received instructions to SELL by AUC- TION (subject to such Conditions as shall be pro- duced at the Sale), at the Saint Mary's Auction Mart, Carmarthen, on SATURDAY, 21st of June, 1913, all that valuable Freehold Farm, known as PENPARKE, situate in the above Parish, and con- taining 61a. Or. 29p., or thereabouts, of excellent Pasture Land. The Farm is situate about 3& miles from the Town of Carmarthen, about 2& miles from Sarnau Railway Station, and is on the road leading from Llanybri to Carmarthen. There is an excellent Dwelling-house with com- modious Farm Buildings, all in good order. Vacant possession can be had on the 29th Sep- tember next. Sale to commence at 2.30 o'clock punctually. For further particulars apply to the Auctioneers, or to Messrs. Morgan Griffiths, Son and Prosser, Solicitors, all of Saint Mary Street, Carmarthen. It Sales bp Huction PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT. CARMARTHENSHIRE. PARISHES OF LLANDEFEILOG AND ST. ISHMAEL. -0 TO .be offered for SALE by AUCTION at an early date the outlying portions of THE ISCOED ESTATE comprising 250 acres, or thereabouts, situate in the. above Parishes and close to the Village of Ferryside. Full patriculars will duly appear. LLOYD & THOMAS, Auctioneers, Carmarthen. PEMBROKESHIRE. PARISHES OF LITTLE NEWCASTLE AND NEVERN. JOHN FRANCIS & SON will offer for SALE by PUBLIC AUCTION, at the Commercial Hotel, Fishguard, at 2 p.m., on Thursday, 10th July, 1913, the SUMMERTON ESTATE, containing almost 1,000 acres in a ring fence, and comprising the Farms of Summerton, Summerton House, Estyniog, Tyryet, Garngwcw, and Tyllosg and Temperness. Particulars, Plans and Conditions of Sale may bo obtained of the Auctioneers, Carmarthen, or of Messrs. S. W. Johnson and Son, 5, Gray's Inn Square, London. PEMBROKESHIRE. PARISH OF LAMPETER-VELFREY. JOHN FRANCIS & SON will offer for SALE by AUCTION, at the De Rutzen Hotel, Nar- berth, at 2.30 p.m., on THURSDAY, 17th July, 1913, the Valuable Freehold Property, known as the PENLAN ESTATE containing about j 280 acres in the following lota;— Lot Farm Tenant Area A. n. P. I Penlan J. and L. Morgan 120 2 14 2 Penlan Cottage ¡ Do. 4 1 30 3 Accommodation Land.. Do.. 74 0 15 4 Lan Mill John Davies ..| 28 1 5 5 Blaengwaithnoah .Daniel Morgan 82 2 10 6 Do. Cottage ..j Do. 18 o 33 Particulars Plans and Conditions of Sale may be obtained of the Auctioneers, Carmarthen, or of Messrs. Lewis and James, Solicitors, Narberth. (1706 CARMARTHENSHIRE. PARISH OF LLANFIHANGEL-AR-ARTH. JOHN FRANCIS & SON will offer for SALE by PUBLIC AUCTION, at the Ivy Bush Royal Hotel, Carmarthen, at 2.30 p.m., on SATURDAY, 19th July, 1913, the Valuable Free- hold Property, known as THE ALLEN ESTATE containing about 400 acres Lot 1.—Valuable Freehold Farm, known as BEDW or BEDWHIRION, situate about one mile from Pencader and about nine miles from Carmar- then, containing 174a. 2r. 12p., more or less, of Pasture and Arable Land, now let to Mr. Evan Davies. Lot 2.—The Valuable Freehold Farm, known as LAN, together with GORWYDD FIELDS, situate about one mile from Pencader and nine miles from Carmarthen. The whole contains 222a. 1r. 2p., more or less, of Pasture and Arable Land, and is now let to Messrs. T. and D. James. Particulars, Plan and Conditions of Sale may be obtained of the Auctioneers, Carmarthen, or of Messrs. Lewis and James, Solicitors, Narberth. (1704 CARMARTHENSHIRE. PARISHES OF EGLWYSFAIR AND LLANWINNIO AND SAINT PETERS. JOHN FRANCIS & SON will offer for SALE by PUBLIC AUCTION, jn July, 1913, the Valuable FREEHOLD PROPERTY, known as the LEACH ESTATE viz.: Farm. Tenant. P-rea. A. R. P. Aberdyfnant Mr. Robert Davies 155 0 14 Danderwen Do. 29 2 38 Glrinrhyd Mrs. Gibbon 27 0 1 PenclippiQ Mrs. Evans 41 0 0 Cilcam Do. 5 2 9 Parkyrhalen Nathaniel Thomas 3 0 8 I Further Particulars will duly appear, and in the meantime may be obtained of the Auctioneers, Car- marthen, or of Messrs. BARKER, MORRIS & OWEN, 1705) Solicitor?, Carmarthen. PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT. CARMARTHENSHIRE. PARISH OF LLANEGWAD. MESSRS. W. J. REES AND JOHN FRANCIS AND SON will offer for SALE by PUBLIC AUCTION, at an early date, the Valuable Freehold Farms, known as TYCOCH & BLAENEGWAD, having easy access to the main road from Car- marthen and Llandilo, and now in the occupation of the Reprs. of the late Mr. Thomas Lewis, and M. William Lewis respectively. Further particulars will duly appear, and in the meantime may be obtained of the Aootioneers, The Laurels, Swansea; and The Mount, Carmarthen; or of T. Howell Davies, Esq., Solicitor, King Street, Carmarthen. By Order of the Mortgagee. TOWN OF CARMARTHEN. LLOYD & THOMAS are favoured with instruc- -MJ tions to offer for SALE by AUCTION at the Ivy Bush Royal Hotel, Carmarthen, on SATURDAY, the 5th day of July, 1913, at 2.30 p.m., all that very Valuable and Desirable Free- hold Residence, known as PiCTON HOUSE situate in Picton-place, Carmarthen, and containing 3 Reception Rooms, 8 Bedrooms, Dressing Rooms, Box Rooms, Bathroom (h. and c.), and the usual conveniences; together with Coaoh-house, Stable and other Outbuildings, Garden, Orchard, Green- house, and Tennis Lawn. (Further particulars may be obtained of the Auctioneers; or of A. Soppitt, Esq., Solicitor, all of Carmarthen. CARMARTHENSHIRE. PARISH OF LLANFIH AN GEL-ABERCO WIN. LLOYD & THOMAS are favoured with instruc- JLJ tions to offer for SALE by AUCTION, at the Ivy Bush Royal Hotel, Carmarthen, on SATURDAY, 5th July, 1913, at 2 p.m., the whole of that very Valuable and Desirable Freehold Farm, known as HENDRE, situate in the above parish, within one mile of St. Clears G.W.R. Station,, now an e occupation of the Misses Rogers, which will be offeerd in the following lots, viz.:— Lot 1.—Freehold Field called -RHOS," situate on the South Side of the entrance road to the Farm, and containing 6 acres 2 roods 6 perches. Lot 2.—(Freehold Field, called RHOSFACH," situate on the north side of the said entrance road, and containing 3 acres 1 rood 25 perches. Lot 3.-Freehold Field, adjoining Lot 2, and called PARKYREFEL/ containing 4 acres 29 perches. Lot 4.—The remaining portion of HENDRE FARM. with the Homestead and Outbuildings, and containing 44 acres 1 rood 16 perches. Vacant possession of will be given at Michaelmas nmt. Particulars, Plans and Conditions of Sale may be obtained of the Auctioneers; or of Messrs. Moivis and Morris, Solicitors, all of Carmarthen. Sales bp Huction. CARMARTHENSHIRE. PARISHES OF LLANDEFEILOG AND KIDWELLY. LLOYD & THOMAS are favoured with instruc- tions to offer for SALE by AUCTION, at the Ivy Bush Royal Hotel, Carmarthen, on SATURDAY, the 5th July, 1913, at 2.15 p.m.. the whole of that Exceedingly Valuable Freehold Farm and Lands, known as LLECHDWNNY, situate as above, and which will be offered in four Lots as follows or in one or more lots as may be determined upon prior to or at time of Sale:— Lot 1,-Two Fields, "MILL MEADOW" and "CAE PENYFACH," containing 11a. Or. 32p. Lot 2.—Two Fields, "CAE EIROTH" and "CAE WENALLT," containing 12a. 3r. 24p. Lot 3.—13 Fields with Cottage thereon, compris- ing the Land situate near Brickyard; containing 88a. 3r. 21p. Lot 4.-LLECHDWNNY Farm and Lands, con- taining 191a. 3r. 39p. The whole Property is in the occupation of Mr. David Griffiths as yearly tenant. Particulars, Plans and Conditions of Sale may be obtained of the Auctioneers, or of E. A. H. Harries, Esq., Solicitor, all of Carmarthen. TOWN OF CARMARTHEN. Important Sale of Valuable Freehold Property. 1%/TR. T. L. HARRIES is instructed to offer for SALE by PUBLIC AUCTION, at the Ivy Bush Royal Hotel, Carmarthen, on THURSDAY, June the 26th, 1913, at 2.30 o'clock in the after- noon (subject to conditions of Sale as shall be there and then produced), the following Valuable Freehold Property, viz.: All those Freehold Pre- mises known as THE OLD TANNERY, situate in the Town of Carmarthen, which were used for a great many years in the Tannery business carried on by Messrs. T. Thomas and Sons, Llandilo and Carmarthen. The Property has a frontage of 110 feet to John Street, and 130 feet to Barn Road, opposite the Cattle Market; and, owing to the central position it occupies in the Town, is very valuable for building sites, or for the erection of large buciness premises. The premises can be inspected at any time on application to Mr. Rees Davies, The Tenant. For further particulars apply to the Auctioneer, Carmarthen Street, Llandilo; or to MR. JOHN R. WILLIAMS, Solicitor, 2, Bank Buildings, Llandilo. (1716 PARISH OF EAST CILRHEDYN, CARMARTHENSHIRE. MESSRS. J. D. JONES, SON & GEORGE WIN SELL by PUBLIC AUCTION at the Emlyn Arms Hotel, Newcastle-Emlyn, on FRIDAY, the 27th June, 1913, at 2.30 p.m. (subjecf) to condi- tions), the most desirable freehold farm and lands, called CLYNFELINFAWR, and the several cot- targes and gardens belonging thereto, situate in the above parish, in the following or such other lots as may be determined upon:— Lot 1.—Accommodation field, called Parkyr- ychain-mawr, numbered 687 on the Ordnance Sur- vey Map, and containing 9a. 3r. 35p., or there- abouts. Lot 2.-Seven fields of excellent grazing land, well supplied with water situate on the South side of the farm, and containing together 64a. Ir. 2p., or thereabouts. Lot 3.—All that the main portion of the farm called Clynfelinfawr, including farm, dwelling- house, outbuildings, and 14 fields of excellent pas- ture and arable land, and containing 82a. 3r. 17p., or thereabouts. This lot will be sold subject to the leases affecting the same, for full particulars of which see sale posters. Lot 4.-Plot of land adjoining the road leading from Cwmmorgan to Dreifa Factory, and contain- ing- Oa. ir. 14p. Lot 5.-Cottage, carpenter's workshop and gar- den, called Troedyrhiw. This lot will be sold sub- ject to a lease for 89 years from the 29th Septem- ber, 1880, at the yearly rent of JBO 2s. 6d. Lot 6.—Cottage and garden, called Penrhiw, and site of another cottage called Bwmper, all situate at Cwmmorgan. For further particulars see sale posters, or apply to the Auctioneers at Llwynbedw, Boncath, R.S.O., or to Messrs. Ervans and Thomas, Llan- dyssul, Vendor's Solicitors. (1703 US' From a HEALTH point of view ELECTRICITY FOR LIGHTINC At the usual rates is CHEAPER THAN GA8 supplied —FREE— The man whose house is lighted by gas gets more than light for his money. He gets also a deposit of soot on his ceiling and a deposit of black on his lungs. The w'nite- waaher may deal with the ceiling, but the lungs are inaccessible. Install Electric Light WHICH IS Perfectly Pure. It will be the Manager's pleasure to give all possible information FREE OF COST on application to or at the ELECTRICITY WORKS, CARMAR- THEN.
I ;13irtbs- flDarriagcs- IDcatbs DEATHS. GRIFFITHS.—June 16th, at King's Arms Street, Llandovery, Mr. William Griffiths, tailor, aged 44 years.
THE LATE SIR JAMES DRUMMOND LOOKING back over the past three or four years one finds that the county of Carmarthen has been a heavy sufferer from that real misfortune which Death now and then brings to every community. Worst of all, it would seem, is that which happened on Sunday morning last, depriving the county not only of a Lord Lieutenant, but a friend and an inti- mate neighbour. The late Sir James Drummond. Bart., C.B.. was in every sense ideally fitted for the official position he held in the county. With politi- cal convictions which were unmistakeaWe and bred in the bone, he never showed political or sectarian bias in the discharge of his duties as Lord Lieutenant. Indeed it would be difficult to associate a tempera- ment so genial and kindly with bias or prejuice ")f any kind. The office of Lord Lieutenant of Car- marthenshire can never have been filled better than it was by the deceased baronet, and it will be a very difficult task to find one who will carry on the re- sponsibilities of that office with the same ingrained sense of fairness, insight and dignity. His was always a welcome figure, a valued presence, at the many public funotions and movements in the county which claimed and received his active interest; but the pleasure with which he was always received in public was merely reciprocal of the warmth of good will which he always brought with him. As a public man Sir James Drummond's los.* will be a very heavy one, but it is in the capacity of landlord, neighbour and friend that it will be 1 greatest. No man or woman was too poor to enlist his ready sympathy, and few men were richer than he in that greater attribute of charity, that royal gift of comforting others who. like himself, had heavy sorrows to bear. Whatever it is that Death may be, whether it be the supreme mischance that men make it, or merely a naturanl and beautiful change to a fuller and better life it sometimes leaves behind it, in place of that of which it robs us, an example of what it is to be a Christian gentleman always and everywhere. That is what it has done with Sir James Drummond.
"THE BILL ROBS US OF THE GRAVES OF OUR DEAD" A VERY prominent feature in the great Church Demonstration was a banner borne by Llanstephan Churchmen with the above striking inscription. Tnis aspect of the Spoliation Bill requires to be brought vividly home to the electors. Not only does the Bill seize £ 158,000 per annum of Church money, and confiscate it to secular uses, but insult must needs be added to injury by the confiscation and secularisation of the hallowed burial grounds of the Church. The 23rd Clause in the Bill does this effectively. If the Bill becomes law, the burial grounds of the Church, with a few exceptions, will pass into the hands of the Parish Council, to be maintained out of the rates. Right of way will be reserved to Churchpeople to pass to ana from their Churches. Thus every time a Churchman goes to Cnurch, he will be reminded of the fact that he has been robbed. Most Church authorities at present take a laudable pride in beautifying these sacred spots, hallowed as they are by so many tender associations. But in future if the path becomes untidy, they will have to go cap in hand to the Parish Council and wait the pleasure and leasure of that dignified body to put matters right. If the Parish Council decides to cut down beautiful trees at their own sweet will, they may do so, and no Churchman can say them nay. Of course, from political preachers and NoncOn formists blinded by prejudice towards the Church, Churchmen have long ceased to expect any mercv. But what of religious Nonconformists, who are not animated by such unworthy feelings towards the Old Mother? Do not these good people see that by aiding this- Bill, they are helping to wound the most tender feelings of t'heir fellow-Christians? We hear a great deal of the need of co-operation and loud complaints are voiced against the parson and Churchmen because they do not join their Noncon- formist brethren in good works. Really, what do these good people expect? Do they qxpect Churchmen to fall on their necks and kiss them when they are helping to deprive them, not cy.-ly of the means of maintaining the ministry, but also, of the hallowed resting places of their dead? Is it quite impossible that their sluggish imaginatiens; can be stirred to think for a moment what Wfculd" happen if by any chance the boot were on the other leg? If, for instance, Churchmen helped an agita- tion to take away the burial grounds of Ebei;»zer, or Rehoboth, or Philadelphia, etc., would Noncon- formists take it all lying down and with a glow of holy meekness writ large on their solemn faces ? We trow not. It simply speaks volumes for the Christian charity of Churchmen in these trying days that they have- any patience whatsoever with their Nonconformist brethren, so-called. Further, let us ask where does the much-vaunted principle of religious equality enter, in this matter of the Churchyards? If Penuel is to keep its burial ground untouclied, whilst the old Church is to be forcibly relieved of hers, does anyone outside Bedlam call that religious equality? "Ah!" says the objector, "but you see we want to retain the right of the parishioners to burial in the Churchyards." In other words these- good people want to eat their cake and keep They will rob the rector of the tithe and present it to the County Council; but the County Council must not; be expected to repair the chancel of the Church as the Rector had to do—the repair of the chancel being an ancient liability attaching to rec- torial tithe. The County Council must halve the privilege of the tiithe, but none of the liability. The Church again must be denationalised, but the churchyards must be still national. And all this, forsooth is fair, just, generous!! Every parishioner has at present a right to buriai in the parish churchyard. Very well. If it is de- sired to retain this right offered by a National Church, let it be retained by all means, but without transference of the churchyard to a secular body which would involve a gratuitous insult to the- feelings of Churchmen. Let things remain as they are. Besides, if Disestablishers were logical and allowed Churchmen to retain their churchyards on the same terms as the Church itself it is 'hardly credible that anyone would suffer. There would be no practical grievance. The B'shop of St. David's has pointed out in the past week that n his diocese in 343 incumbencies which have open churchyards there are 255 which have Noncon- formist burial grounds. Throughout the length and breadth of the land there are Nonconformist burial grounds and let us add large numbers of these have been freely given to the chapels by Churchmen. Churchmen have .gladly given their land to supply burial grounds for Nonconformity. And now Nonconformists show their generous gratitude by depriving Churchmen of theirs. Such is the cruel irony of the situation: such is the generosity of the "mean little Bill.' "It robs us even of the graves of our dead." LL. C.
NOTES OF THE WEEK. Apart from that, we cannot quite see the martyr- dom of Miss Davison. She was not killed by the opponents of the movement. She committed a sort of accidental "hari-kari" for the sake of advertis- ing the cause s'rie had at heart. Her potential murderers were not the anti-Suffragists, nor the. Liberal Cabinet, but first and foremost the Pank- hurst family, whose wild words prompted her mad deed. The only settled conviction left by the tragedy is that Miss Christabel Pankhurst must have a very tough conscience to allow herself to remain skulking like a coward in Paris while the poor, deluded Davisons, who are her dupes, risk life and limb for her advancement.—("The Ihrone. The Chancellor of the Exchequer circulated the following reply recently to a question by Mr. Pretyman as to the total yield of the Land Values- Duties up to the 31st March, 1913:— £ Increment Value Duty 23,254 Reversion Duty 70.878 Undeveloped Land Duty 129,298 Mineral Rights Duty 1,234,483 Total. 1,457,911 The total cost of valuation (includ- ing cost of collecting above duties and of certain incidental services, and cost of issuing Form IV. and of offices and stationery) up to the same date has been 1,393,000 The total number of officials engaged in the Land Valuation Office on the 31st March, 1913, was, 4,lo3, and the total figure of their annual salaries was £ 492,626. The Committee of the National Eisteddfod held, at Carmarthen two years ago have just added ano- ther feather to their cap. They were the first to give place on their platform to the performance of a Welsh play, the piece for competition being a selection from "Rhys Lewis." One gratifying re- sult of the new departure is seen in the programme just issued by the Welsh Summer School, which will be held for a fortnight next August at Bangor The committee have engaged a Dramatio Company to give a performance at the Summer School of two typical Welsh plays—" Ystori'r Streic by Mr. Beriah Gwynfe Evans, and "Rhys Lewis" by Mr. J. M. Edwards. The players, who carried off the prize at Carmarthen, are included in the cast for these plays next August. Our readers will remem- ber Mr. Beriah Evans' old associations with Car- marthenshire, and that he was the author of the official play produced in Carnarvon Castle on the occasion of the Investiture of H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, their Majesties accepting copies and ex- pressing high apreciation of the play.