Symud i'r prif gynnwys
Cuddio Rhestr Erthyglau

7 erthygl ar y dudalen hon



FLINT. THE NEW CATHOLIC CHURCH.—We understand that the foundation stone of this church will be laid by the Bishop of Shrewsbury at an early date. THE NEW CHAPEL AT PENTRE.-The new chapel built at Pentre for the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists will be opened on the 26th instant. THE CROSS FOXES HOTEL.—This hotel was trans- ferred on Saturday, from Mr. Jackson to Mr. Wigan, brewer and proprietor of the Victoria, and other hotels in Liverpool. ST. PATRICK'S DAY.—A grand celebration and re-union in honor of Ireland's National Saint will be held at Flint on Monday next—St. Patrick's day. The gathering will take place in the Assem- bly-rooms, where a capital programme of national songs will be gone through, and the operetta of Cinderella, which was recently given with such admirable effect, will be repeated by general desire. FOG ON THE P-ivicR. -Between eight and half- past ten o'clock on Tuesday morning, a fog of great though varying density hung over the River Dee. The tide being in at the time, great care had to be exercised in the navigation of vessels on the river. The Minnie Jane, of Liverpool, a steam lighter, while making for Flint dock ran into the waste tip belonging to the Chemical Works, and knocked in her bows, fortunately above the water line. THE NEW HIGH SHERIFF.—The High Sheriff Richard Muspratt, Esq., Mayor of Flint, has appointed Mr. Henry Taylor, Town Clerk of Flint, Under Sheriff, and Messrs. Kelly and Keene, of Mold, acting Under Sheriffs, and the Rev. W. Ll. Nicholas, rector of Flint, has been appointed Sheriff's Chaplain. The High Sheriff and the Under Sheriff were sworn in on Monday. We heartily congra- tulate Mr. Muspratt on the honor conferred upon him. THE REV. RICHARD Owi&x. -On Saturday the Rev. Richard Owen, who has been conducting with eminent success revival services in several places in North W ales, preached two sermons at the Caersalem Chapel, one at ten o'clock in the morning and the other at three o'clock in the afternoon. The services were especially well attended, large numbers attending the afternoon services from Northop, Halkyn, Bagillt and Holywell. Mr. Owen speaks in plain and simple language, and by his great earnestness he reaches the hearts of his hearers in an extraordinary manner. He left the same evening for Mold, where he was conducting a mission at the time. THEFT OF A SOLDIER'S MEDAL.—At the Flint Police Court on Thursday last, an Irishman named Patrick Murphy was brought up in custody charged with stealing a medal belonging to David Jones, labourer at Coleshill Farm, near Flint. The prisoner and the prosecutor were in the Prince of Wales Inn drinking on Tuesday, the 4th inst., and the prose- cutor handed his medal round for the inspection of the company. While the prosecutor was lighting his pipe, the prisoner walked off with the medal, and was traced to the Railway Vaults, where he was given into custody.—Sergeant Ward said both prosecutor and'prisoner were drunk. In reply to the Chairman, prisoner said he was drunk, and took the medal bufcjhad no intention of stealing it, he gave it up when asked in the Railway Vaults. In reply to the Mayor, prisoner said there were other persons in the Prince of Wales drunk on the Monday but he did not know their names as he had only been in Flint a month. The Mayor ordered the prisoner to be discharged, and warned him to be more careful as he had narrowly escaped being sent to gaol. The police were instructed to be on the alert with regard to publicans who permitted drunkenness in their houses. TERRIBLE ACCIDENT ON THE RAILWAY— A MAN CUT TO PIECES. A frightful occurrence took place on the Chester and Holyhead Railway, near Pentre, on Thursday afternoon, whereby a young man named Edwin Illidge, was run down and terribly mangled by a passing train. The accident occurred as the deceased was crossing the railway foot crossing from Pentre into the works, and the facts are as follows. The deceased had been out of the works, and was re- turning by means of the foot crossing. Just as he was about to get on to the railway an express train was passing on the up line at full speed, and to which he seems to have directed his attention, at the same moment as the last van of the express train passed over the crossing the engine of the 3.24 (at Flint) stopping train came on to the crossing which the deceased seems never to have noticed. He was knocked under the train and killed instan- taneously, his body being fearfully mutilated, the unfortunate man's arms and legs being severed from his body and his head knocked into an almost irre- cognisable mass. After being knocked down he seems by some means or other to have got entangled with the chains of the patent continuous brake by which he was carried the whole length of the train, and fell from under the last van of the train, a distance of ninety yards from the crossing The man was observed to be in a dangerous position by Benjamin Jones, foreman platelayer at Flint, who with one of his men, the witness (George Williams) was some distance off. When the body fell from the guard's van Jones ran up, and seeing that the man was dead, he obtained a sheet from his cottage which is on the railway side close to where the accident took place, the body at the time being quite nude, every particle of clothing, with the exception of a small "sweat cloth" round his neck, being torn off. A number of the workmen from the Pentre works arrived, and the remains were collected and placed in the sheet and conveyed to the deceased's lodgings to await the inquest. The parents of the deceased who were fortunately known to Mr. Aldford, the manager of Pentre Works, were sent for and arrived the day after the accident. The deceased it appeared was a married man and father of four children, but his family did not reside with him.—An inquest was held upon the body on Saturday morning before Wm. Davies, Esq., coroner, at the Menai Bridge Inn, Pentre, when the following gentlemen were sworn on the jury;— Messrs. Albert George Smith (foreman), Richard Davies, Richard Evans, John Holford, George Foulkes, Alexander Dodd. W. H. Hull, William Williams, William Bagnall, H. F. Dubois, John Evans, Neil Blue, and William Rogers.—Mr. Parry, stationmaster at Flint, and Inspecter Tinsley were present on behalf of the Railway Co.—After the jury had viewed tho remains of the deceased the following evidence was taken.—Thomas Kenney deposed: I am a labourer working at Messrs. Smith and Mawdsley's Chemical Works at Pentre, and reside at No. 4, Pritchard's- terrace, Lead Brook Minor. I have known the deceased since about Christmas last, and he was working in the same works as myself. On Thursday afternoon I saw the deceased in the works about three o'clock, and I gave him instructions about starting certain work. In about half an hour afterwards I heard that the deceased had been cut to pieces on the line. I went at oqce to where the accident occurred, and recognised the body as that of Edwin Illidge. It was lying on the four-foot on the down line, between Benjamin Jones' house and the stile at the footpath crossing over the Chester and Holyhead Railway and leading from the turnpike road between Flint and Connah's Quay to the seashore. The body was very much mutilated, the legs lying in one place and the arms in another. We gathered the pieces together and placed them in a sheet, and removed them to deceased's lodging. The body was found about 85 yards from the footpath I have referred to; which also leads to Messrs. Smith and Mawdsley's Works, and a great number of the men in going to and returning from their work go along that footpath. The deceased was 26 years of age. —Thomas Baxter, engine driver in the employ of the London and North-western Railway Company, and resident at 11, Talbot-street, Chester, deposed I have been an engine driver for about twelve years. I was the driver of the 2-55. down train from Chester to Rhyl on Thursday, and when my train was on the Chester side of the signal man's box and near thereto, I saw a man coming from the direction of the turnpike road towards the stile leading to the footpath across the railway. I then blew my whistle, but it appeared to me that the man's attention was taken to the other road as if he was watching the up express, which was due at the time. When I saw him getting over the stile, I blew my whistle again, my train being then about three yards from the footpath, but the man did not seem to notice my train at all, and walked on in front of it. As we were going down the line, the left buffer caught him, and knocked him down under the engine and train. I stopped the train as soon as I possibly could, and went back to where the body was lying. The body ap- peared quite lifeless, and a number of workmen having arrived I proceeded on my journey. I was travelling at the rate of about 30 miles an hour when I first saw the man coming towards the stile. At that time I whistled once, and I whistled again when I saw him going over the stile, but I did not continue to whistle the whole time. The man would be about 12 yards from the stile when I first saw him, and I always whistle when coming to the crossing in question. The distance from the signal box to the crossing is about 120 yards.—The deceased's father asked how far it was from the stile to the place where the deceased was first struck, and the witness replied that he could not say exactly, but it was close to the line.—George Williams, a platelayer, stationed on the Flint section, and residing at 59, Mumforth-street, Flint, said On Thursday afternoon last, between three and four o'clock, my attention was called to a man about crossing the railway over the footpath at Pentre crossing. I also saw a train coming down the line which was close upon him. The man WM knocked down and carried a distance of ninety yards. I, with others, went to the spot and assisted in collecting the remains. I heard the whistle of the engine, when Benjamin Jones called my atten- tion to the man crossing the line. He said I am afraid if he goes on he will be killed," and that was the result. The up express was also passing at the time.—The Coroner then proceeded to review the evidence after which the room was cleared. In about ten minutes the jury had agreed upon their verdict, and the Foreman said we find a verdict of Accidental Death," and the jury beg to say that they consider there ought to be a bridge at thia crossing which they consider to be very dangerous. -• —The Coroner said he would have great pleasure in forwarding the recommendation of the jurv to the Railway Company.—Inspector Tinsley who w" present, said he would also see it was conveyed.- The Coroner thanked the jury for their attendance, and they were dismissed.—The funeral of the deceased took place on Saturday afternoon, his remains being buried in Flint Cemetery. A very large concourse of people attended the funeral. We believe the expences of the burial were defrayed by the workmen and others of Pentre Works.


I * Markets and Fairs.

T T Metals and Mining.