THE LATE ' DUKE OF ALBANY.|1884-04-10|Flintshire Observer Mining Journal and General Advertiser for the Counties of Flint Denbigh - Papurau Newydd Cymru" /> r:..æ'r'o'""".::....> THE LATE ' DUKE OF ALBANY.|1884-04-10|Flintshire Observer Mining Journal and General Advertiser for the Counties of Flint Denbigh - Papurau Newydd Cymru
Symud i'r prif gynnwys
Cuddio Rhestr Erthyglau

11 erthygl ar y dudalen hon

r:..æ'r'o'""".::....> THE…


r:æ'r'o'> THE LATE DUKE OF ALBANY. Friday morning, which had been selected for the landing of the remains of the late Duke of Albany, opened brightly. The blue sky and the warm and brilliant sun formed a strange contrast to the sombre .appearance of the Royal yacht Osborne, with its mournful burden, lying moored up against the South- western Railway Company's jetty inside Portsmouth Dockyard. There was just enough wind to make the standards flutter well out from the masts, and show the only particles of colour amid the universal black. The draped pavilion on the jetty certainly added to the melancholy. It is a large square with tri- angular roof, open at both ends, entirely draped in crape, which, however, is slightly tipped with white and it stands near the stern of the Osborne. It is through this structure that the coffin passed prior to its being disposed in the funeral car. The car itself was an ordinary railway van painted black, and relieved by a slight blue streak around the panels, on the centre of which there was a silver wreath surrounding the letter L." This opens at the ends, and was tastefully draped throughout with crape festooned in an artistic manner, and edged with silver fringe. At each side there were in the centre of the decorations silver wreaths within a wreath, and at each corner a small white pedestal of white cloth, upholstered with white satin. The floor was covered with ordinary South-Western Railway mat- ting, but in the centre there was black cloth edged with white, and upon that again a white skin mat with a rim of black running round it. Upon this the coffin was placed. Shortly after nine o'clock the special train from London arrived on the jetty. It consisted of seven saloon carriages, and amongst those travelling by it were the Crown Prince of Germany, the Marquis of Lorne, Prince Christian, and the Prince of Waldeck- Pyrmont. On alighting from the carriages, they were received by the Prince of Wales, who was wear- ing the full dress of a field marshal. The Prince of Wales, who was evidently deeply moved, shook hands long and sadly with the Crown Prince of Germany, who was evidently addressing words of condolence to his Royal Highness for some minutes. The Prince also shook hands with each of the party in turn, and the Prince of Waldeck-Pyrmont met his son, the young Prince, with open arms, and kissed him warmly on each cheek. The whole party then proceeded on board the Osborne. At half-past nine a detachment of the Seaforth Highlanders was drawn up in front of the draped sheds, and on board the Osborne a guard of Marines was mounted with fixed bayonets. The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar, on arrival, went on board the Osborne. By this time ft large number of people who had secured tickets from the Admiral-Superintendent had assembled on the jetty. On the left were a number of naval officers in full dress uniform, and on the right army officers of all ranks, thirty members of the Corpora- tion in their robes of office, each wearing a mourning band, and an official carrying the mace, draped. There were also a large number of ladies present, all of whom were attired in deep mourning. A number of blue jackets were paraded along the whole length of the jetty in open order. At half-past nine minute guns commenced firing from the saluting fort, and continued whilst the sad pro- procession left the Osborne with their mournful burden, and deposited it in the funeral car. This was brought alongside the draped Pavihon, which was shortly afterwards lined with officers of the various services from foreign countries. LANDING OF THE BODY. At ten o'clock when the preparations for moving the body from the Mortuary Chapel to the funeral car were completed, minute guns commenced firing from the Duke of Wellington flag-ship, which lay almost alongside the Osborne. Shortly afterwards the Princes, attended by their suites, who had been into the saloon, temporarily converted into a mortuary chapel, came on deck and stood waiting, in respectful silence, for the coffin to be brought out. Almost immediately following them came a number of bare- headed blue-jackets carrying the wreaths and other floral tributes which had been sent to Cannes, and which had been laid beside the coffin ever since it left the Villa Nevada. Conspicuous amongst them was the large white wreath sent by her Majesty, bearing the inscription: From his loving and sorrowful mother," and the large cross of violets, which was made by the Duchess of Albany. At ten minutes past ten o'clock the ship's bell com- menced to toll, and added to the already impressive spectacle. About a dozen blue jackets then emerged from the cabin deck, bearing the coffin, covered with a violet pall, which was first placed upon a rest, and was then slowly carried by the stalwart tars of the Osborne to the Pavilion. The sad procession was headed by the Rev. J. C. Edgehill, chaplain of Ports- mouth. Then followed the coffin borne by the sailors, immediately behind the Prince of Wales, the Crown Prince of Germany, the Duke of Cambridge, Prince Albert Victor of Wales—who wore the dress of a sub-lieutenant of the navy —and then the other princes and their suites. The moment the coffin reached the Pavilion, the order Present arms was heard, and almost imme- diately the well-worn flag of the Seaforth Highlanders was lowered to the ground, and the regiment saluted the remains of their once popular and deeply-loved officer. At the same moment the band of the North Lancashire, Regiment with muffled drums, played the mournful strains of the Dead March." The whole scene was so impressive and affecting that many of the spectators were in tears. The coffin was at once placed on the funeral car, and the door of the latter was left cpen for a few moments, whilst the Prince of Wales, who was deeply affected, and his Royal relatives stood at the edge of the raised plat- form, and gazed wistfully upon the coffin, which con- tained all that was mortal of the late Duke. The Royal party then entered the saloon carriages, which were placed in front of the funeral car. An engine, almost covered with crape, was attached, and the train slowly moved out of the station, the High- landers again saluting, and the band continuing to play the Dead March." Thousands of people had assembled outside the Harbour Station to see the train pass, and as the sorrowful procession proceeded along the jetty the men uncovered, and the \on1"11 bowed their heads in respectful silence. The minute guns, the loud mili- tary orders, the strains of the Dead March, the grief-stricken appearance of the mourners, and the extraordinary character of the train itself, rendered the scene probably one of the most impressive ever witnessed in this country. The line for some distance skirts the garrison recrea- tion grounds, in which the North Lan- cashire and the Leicestershire Regiments were drawn up in two lines, extending right along their ground. The train proceeded slowly over the embankment in front of them, and, as it did so, the entire body of men saluted, and reversed their arms; the flags were also lowered, and again a number of bands, with muffled drums, poured forth the impressive strains of the" Dead March." Many thousands of people were assembled hero also and evinced the greatest respect and sympathy for the occupants of the train. THE ARRIVAL AT WINDSOR. At Windsor soon after twelve o'clock the route be- tween the South-Western Railway Station and Henry VIII.'s Gate was lined by troops and thousands of spectators, all in mourning. The Berkshire volun- teers, under the command of Colonel Sir Paul Hunter and. Major Simmonds, drew up in front of the en- closure which leads to the Queen's waiting-room at the station, and formed a guard of honour. A captain's escort of the Life Guards was also mounted at the same place in readiness for the appearance of her Majesty. Just before the arrival of the Queen addi- tional decorations of the Royal waiting room were made. The platform was covered with black cloth, and on either side of the doorway through which the coffin was taken was a collection of choice flowers -violets, hyacinths, ferns, cinerarias, cle- matis, &c. Above the outer doorway, which was draped similarly to the inner one, was a silver cross on a blue ground, and the monograms I H.S. and A.O. The floor of the waiting-room, was like- wise covered with black cloth. Beyond these indica- tions of the sad occasion there was none to be seen in the station itself, save that the general public were for the time excluded, leaving it solely to the use of the mourners. Mr Chesman, the station-master, with the aid of Mr Hoskisson, superintendent of the railway police, had fharge of the platform arrangements, and they faith- « ully fulfilled the wishes of her Majesty, that as much privacy as possible should be ensured while the coffin was being conveyed to the gun-carriage. At the lower end of the arrival platform, a party of the Seaforth Highlanders, or the Duke of Albany's Own, as they are styled, were assembled as early as half- past eleven o'clock. Fine stalwart fellows they attracted considerable attention. A hundred of the same regiment with the Queen's colours and their drums and fifes formed a guard of honour. They wore their scarlet jackets faced with white, but having only the forage cap, their bonnets having been in use for some time, they lost something of their picturesque appearance, which gained for them sc much favour when they were present on another and very different occasion—the late duke's marriage. About 600 of the Foot Guards kept the centre of the roadway clear, and all spectators were rapidly con- fined to the pathway. In places where there was fear of pressure the Life Guards were drawn up so that at no time throughout the impressive scene was there any unpleasant incident. Everything was con- ducted in solemn silence and reverent observance. Just before half-past twelve the Queen left the Castle, proceeding by way of the great Quadrangle and the slope, and emerging by the gateway, which is opposite the station. The Lord Chamberlain and the Lord and Groom in Waiting were in attendance. Her Majesty was accompanied by the Princess of Wales, the Princess Christian, the Princess Beatrice, and attended by the Dowager Marchioness of Ely, the Countess of Moreton, Miss Loch, the Hon. Lady Biddulph, and by two Equerries. At thirty-six minutes past twelve o'clock the train was sighted coming round the curve near the station, and the next instant it was drawn up alongside the platform. Her Majesty quickly advanced from the waiting-room, and affectionately embraced her grandchildren. The party of Seaforth Highlanders then proceeded to remove the coffin from the van, and the melancholy task was noiselessly performed. The coffin was first placed upon a small wheeled vehicle specially constructed for the purpose, and then it was raised to the shoulders of the Highlanders who con- veyed it through the waiting-room to the gun carriage. The Princes bared their heads as the remains were being carried past them. Her Majesty seemed wonderfully calm. The coffin was covered with the St. George's ensign, and upon it were placed the duke's feathered bonnet and sword. The band of the Seaforth Highlanders, as the illustrious burden was slowly brought forth from the station, played "The Flowers of the Forest." A procession was then formed, and slowly moved towards the castle, the massed bands of the Grenadier, Coldstream, and Scots Guards play- ing Chopin's funeral marches. Heading the procession was part of the captain's escort of Life Guards, suc- ceeded by the masked bands. Then came the coffin, borne on the gun-carriage. On either side of it walked the Marquis of Lorne (in Highland costume"), Prince Louis of Battenburg, Prince Albert Victor, the Prince of Waldeck Pyrmont, the Duke of Cambridge, Prince Christian, the Duke of Hesse, the Imperial Crown Prince of Germany, and, immediately behind, the Pri-ice of Wales, who was in field-marshal uniform. Then followed the late duke's charger, a handsome dark bay, with all its trappings, and the Highlanders who had borne the body, and who were without arms. A close carriage, drawn by four grey horses, and containing the Queen, the Princess of Wales, the Princess Christian, and the Princess Beatrice, next came, the four ladies in attendance following in another carriage. On foot and behind the last carriage, were a number of gentlemen of the Royal households, headed by the Lord Chamberlain (the Earl of Kenmare); and including Dr. Royle, the late Prince's medical attendant, in uniform, -,nd Mr. Collins, his private secretary. The captain's escort closed the procession, and the Seaforth Highlanders, who had formed the guard of honour at the station under the command of Captain Brooke Hunt and Lieutenants Barlow and Warrand, fell in and brought up the rear. As the cortege ascended the sloping roadway which leads to the lower ward of the castle, it presented a grand and solemn speetacle. Every head was un- covered. There was perfect stillness, and the strains of the massed bands as they passed beneath the grey walls of Windsor fell upon the ear with softening and pathetic effect. Her Majesty continued com- posed, and once or twice looked from her carriage upon the sombre and mourning concourse. By about half-past one the last of the procession had entered the lower ward. Minute guns were fired by a battery of the Royal Horse Artillery stationed y in the Long Walk, Windsor Park, while the proces- sion passed through the streets. The Vice Chamber- lain (Lord C. Bruce), and the Very Rev. Dean of Windsor (the Rev. Randall Davidson), awaited the procession at the entrance to the Memorial Chapel, and the remains were removed by the party of Sea- forth Highlanders to the centre of the edifice. Only the Queen and the immediate relations of the deceased entered the building, which was draped with black cloth, relieved by wreaths that had been seut from all parts of the Continent, conspicuous among them being a large wreath of violets forwarded by the Empress Eugenie. A short service having been per- formed by the Dean of Windsor, her Majesty and the members of the Royal family drove to the Castle, the remains resting in the Memorial Chapel until the funeral.


-....s.o...""'œ37: THE SUFFERERS…


[No title]




[No title]


PistcUairmts Intelligent*.