C. E. HOWELL, ESQ., (EX-MAYOR OF WELSHPOOL), Photo by Maull y Fox, Piccadilly. on the 9th October, 1872. The spontaneous out- growth of the aspirations of Wales for higher culture, it was supported during the first ten years of its existence entirely by the voluntary contribu- tions of the people. In all theso amounted to about £60,000, of which great sum the larger part came from the working and middle classes, the farmers, tradesmen, miners and quarrymen of Wales. Careful estimates justify the belief that not less than 100,000 persons, one-fifteenth of the total population of the Principality, shared in this good work. LORD RENDEL, Photo by J. Owen, Newtown. The work of the College being found to be greatly hampered by want of funds and by the paucity of means of intermediate education in Wales, and the general feeling that a legitimate claim existed for Government aid having been ex- pressed by the Welsh members in the House of Commons in the session of 1879, a Departmental Committee was appointed by the Lord President of the Council in the following year to inquire into the matter, and in the year 1881 the said Com- mittee reported that a case had been made out for Government aid to both Secondary and Higher Education in Wales, and recommended amongst other things that there should be two State-aided University Colleges in Wales, viz., the existing college either retained at Aberystwyth or removed to Carnarvon or Bangor, for North Wales, and another for South Wales, to be established in Glamorgan, and further that a Degree-granting University should be established in Wales. In pur- suance of a part of the said recommendation a grant of £4,000 a year was made by the Treasury to this college in the year 1882, and a similar grant to the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire on its establishment and incorpora- tion by charter in the year 1883, and when on the establishment by charter of the University College of North Wales at Bangor in the year 1884, the grant previously enjoyed by this College passed to tie Raid Co.lleo-e at Bangor, a separate /grant ot ±Z,bUU SIR WATKINS WILLIAMS-WYNN, (Lord_ Lieutenant Jof Montgomeryshire). I H.R.H. THE PRINCE OF WALES. a year, increased in the year 1885 to C4,000, was made to this College, which was incorporated by charter as the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, on the 10th September, 1889. CONSTITUTION. By its charter of incorporation the government of the College is vested in (1) the Court of Governors, (2) the Council, (3) the Senate. The first named is the supreme governing body, with power to manage all matters not otherwise provided for in the charter, or by the statutes of the College and controls both the Council and the Senate. The Council manage the financial and other ordinary business of the College, and may raise questions for the decision of the Court, and determine the course of education at the College. The Senate (subject to the control of the Council) arrange, and carry into effect the course of education proscribed by the Council, and superintend the teaching of the students and the examinations undertaken by the College, and superintend the discipline to be main- tained by the College over its students. The Senate are responsible to the Council and the Council to the Court of Governors for the due discharge of their respective functions. OBJECTS. The object for which the College was established was to afford at a moderate expense the means of instruction in such branches of learning and science, excepting theology, as are being usually studied in the Universities of the United Kingdom, or any of them and as the Governors shall from time to time, in manner required by the Charter and time, in manner required by the Charter and Statutes, direct to provide, when expedient and practicable, such technical or other instruction as may be of immediate service in professional or commercial life; and further to promote higher education generally by lectures, combined with class teaching and examining at such places and in such subjects (except theology) as shall be deter- mined from time to time, in pursuance of statutes made in that behalf. BUILDINGS. In 1867 the Castle House, Aberystwyth, was acquired for the purposes of a college for £ 10,000. In October, 1872, the building was opened for the reception of students. By 1875, the whole of the debt was paid off, and the memorial presented to the Prime Minister in 1884 stated that "The College occupies a beautiful and commodious building admirably adapted for its purpose, con- taining class rooms, rooms for [students and professors, an excellent museum, a library, a principal's residence, and other appliances such as could not now be provided at a less cost than R50,000 at the least." On the 9th July, 1885, a large portion of the College buildings was destroyed by fire, and the Council decided to restore it on the old site. Plans were accordingly prepared by Mr. J. P. Seddon, architect, by whom the building was originally designed, for such restoration, and build- ing operations were commenced in 1887. The South wing has been in occupation by the science professors and students since Easter, 1888, and the remainder of the building, viz., the Arts Depart- ment, since September, 1888. The building at present provides accommodation for a considerable number in addition. The buildings at present com- prise entrance, central, and examination halls, museum, library, Principal's private room, regis- trar's office, book binding room, men students' common room, two common rooms for women students, lavatories and cloak rooms, gymnasium, and. joiners' workshop. In the Arts Section there are twelve lecture rooms, professors' and lecturers' private rooms (12). The Science Section is divided into three departments—Chemistry, Physics and Biology and Geology, each having their laboratories, lecture rooms, etc. A new lecture room and laboratory for agricultural chemistry, with the necessary store rooms, are now being provided, whilst provision for an advanced dairy school is also being made in the basement of the building. The college buildings are freehold, subject to a mortgage charge of £ 8,000. STAFF AND EDUCATIONAL WORK. The staff during the last academical year con- sisted of the following professors and lecturers :— PRINCIPAL: Thomas Francis Roberts, M.A., of St. John's College, Oxford. Greek Professor, The Principal. Assistant Pro- fessor, J. W. Marshall, M.A., of Glasgow, and of Balliol College, Oxford. Latin and Comparative Philology Professor, J. M. Angus, M.A., of Clare College, Cambridge. Lecturer, J. W. Marshall. Classics: Assistant-Lecturer, T. K. Brighouse, M.A., London. Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac, and Sanskrit: Professor, H. Ethe, Ph.D. (Leipzig), Hon. M.A. (Oxon). German and Italian Professor, H. Ethe. Old German: Lecturer, W. Borsdorf, Ph.D. (Berlin). French: Professor, W. Borsdorf. Assistant-Lec- turer, T. K. Brighouse. MAJOR E. PRYCE-JONES, M.P., Photo by J. Owen, Newtown.. .I,. English Language and Literature Professor, C. B. Herford, Litt.D., M.A., of Trinity College, CaUl" brid&e' T Vdw. History and Political Economy: Lecturer, & Edwards, B.A. (St. John's College, Cambria^ M.A. (Lend.). Welsh: Professor, Edw. Anwyl, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford. Logic and Philosophy Professor, J. Brough, LL> of Downing College, Cambridge. Mathematics, Natural Philosophy, and Astronomy • Professor, R. W. Genese, M.A., of St. John's Col- lege, Cambridge. Lecturer, W. J. » M.A. (Queen's University), B.A., of Trinity C lege, Dublin. Assistant-Lecturer, J. T. W.alle)rl B.A., Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge. Chemistry: Professor, H. Lloyd Shape, D.Sc. (Lond.), Ph.D. (Gottingen.) Assistant-Lecture and Demonstrator, A. W. Warrington, M.Se. (Victoria University). Physics: Professor, D. Morgan Lewis, M.A., Trim 1 College, Cambridge. Assistant Lecturer an Demonstrator, G. A, Schott, B.A. (Trinity ÇfJ' lege, Cambridge), B.Sc. (Lond.) Biology and Geology Professor, J. R. Ainsworth Davis, B.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, F.C." Demonstrator, J. H. Salter, B.Sc. (Lond.). Botany: Lecturer, J. H. Salter. Agriculture Lecturers, T. Parry and JIP80P, M.A., B.Sc. (Edin.), F.H.A.S. A. C. HUMPHREYS-OWEN, ESQ., M.P. h (Junior Deputy Chancellor). r Agricultural Chemistry Lecturer, J. Alan Murra1 B.Sc. (Edin.). Veterinary Science: Assistant-Lecturer, J. DAWOO Roberts, M.R.C.V.S. K. Education: Lecturer, F. Watson, M.A. J Assistant-Lecturer, Miss A. Rowlands;" (Lond.). NORMAL DEPARTMENT. I T! Normal Master: Foster Watson, B.A. a 1, DR.[HARRIS (EX-MAYOR OF ABERYSTWYTH).