Symud i'r prif gynnwys
Cuddio Rhestr Erthyglau

14 erthygl ar y dudalen hon



VAGARIES OF A YOUTHFUL CLOCK. AMCSIXG CASE FROM MONKTOX. At Pembroke Police Court on Monday (before the Mayor and other magistrates), Elizabeth Ann Hill, the licensee of the Salutation public- house, Monkton, was charged with keeping open her licensed premises during prohibited hours, on January 8th. Mr. R. D. Lowless appeared to defend, and pleaded not guilty. P.C. Coffey said that on Wednesday, January 8th, he was on duty at Monkton, near thb Salutation public-house, which he visited. His attention was directed to the place by observ- ing the frontdoor open at 11.15 p.m .He-went in, and in the bar saw the landlady sitting by the fire, and two men. These men lived in Long Mains. He asked the landlady why the- men wore in the house at that time. She replied, "I did not know it was eleven o'clock." There was a clock in tha rDom, and according to it the time was 11.13. Witness compared it with his watch, which registered the time at 11.15. and pointed it out to the landlady. She said again that she did not know it was eleven o'clock. From where the landlady sat she could easily have seen the clock. In front of one man witness saw a glass of beer and a bottle of stout, and in front of the other was a wine measure of stout. Both men drank the contents of the measures, and one (Thomas Owens) put the bottle of stout in his pocket. They then went out, and the landlady asked him if he could not let the matter pass this time, as the house was shut at 10.30 the previous evening. He told her that he should have to report. In reply to Mr. Lowless, witness said that the landlady told him she thought the clock was eight minutes fast. Witness had put his clock right when the Monkton clock struck 11.0 that evening. He saw nothing drawn in the place, and no payment was made in front of him. No attempt was made to hide the liquor. In reply to the magistrates witness said he believed the Monkton clock kept correct time. Mr. Lowless said that the case was not such as the Bench would convict for. The landlady had kept the house for the last two years and there had never been any complaint against her. The landlady had been in the habit of keeping her clock ten minutes fast, and she believed it was fast that night-and believed so still. The Monkton clock had no reputation yet. It had only been put up about a fortnight. He aeked the Bench to say that Mrs. Hill's clock was as good as the Monkton clock. He did not think the Bench would convict his client upon the evidence of such a youthful clock. Had it been the town clock it would have been different. Proceeding, Mr. Lowless said that there was no evidence that any drink was drawn or paid for after eleven o'clock, and the men who were there were perfectly sober. Mrs. Hill then went into the box, and on oath said that on January 8th William James and Thomas Owens were in her house, and after ten o'clock they were the only people who were in the bar. She had a clock in the bar, which she always kept ten minutes fast, being very particular as to her closing. When the constable came in she told him that she thought the clock was fast. She was sitrrng doing some crochet work ancr talking to the two men, who were waiting for eleven o'clock. The last time she had sold a drink was about 10.50 p.m. by her clock. She would not have served them after eleven o'clock if they had wished her to. She admitted that she asked the constable to look over the matter, because she was sorry if she had broken the la,r- In reply to Supt. Evans she said that she did not have any difficulty v-ith her customers. That was not the reason she kept the clock fast. She had just been talking about the clock when the constable came in. William James, a labourer, of Monkton, said that on the evening in question he went into the Salutation about 9.30 p.m. He had two or three small stouts. He had the last drink about 10.45 p.m. They sat in the place talking. Witness and the other man were both per- fectly sober. He knew that the clock in the bar was kept fast, because he had seen cus- tomers pull out their watches and say that it was fast. Mrs. Hill had just asked him what the time was when the constable came in. He thought he was all right. When he got out he heard the town clock strike. This witness was also cross-examined at some length by Supt. Evans, and said that he went out as the constable came in. In reply to Mr. Tombs he said that he heard the town clock strike eleven o'clock most dis- tinctly. He had gone about forty yards t\en. The constable was recalled, and said that he waited a few minutes outside the Salutation before going in. The Bench dismis~?d the case, and the Mayor said that Mrs. Hill had better keep her clock right in future. The constable was quite right in bringing the case forward. William James and Thomas Owen were then charged with being found on the licensed pre- mises of the Salutation Inn during prohibited hours, on the same date. Owen did not appear. The constable repeated his evidence, and James repeated his version of the affair.—The cases were dismissed.









[No title]